Friday, July 2, 2010

Fuddy Duddy

When did I become a fuddy duddy? I feel like I'm so serious and I used to be such a goof off. I know, we grow up, blah blah blah. I want to be fun again! (by the way, I analyze my personality WAY too often!)

I feel like it started when I got married and moved to Salt Lake. Ryan was going to school and work and I was so out of my comfort zone. I went from having so many friends and being out ALL the time, to doing nothing! There also felt like this separation in the student apartments. There were the moms and the not moms. The moms all hung out with each other and the not moms waited for their husbands to get home. They were our comfort zones. Sometimes it felt like I should have a baby just so I could have friends. Obviously not a good reason......

So now, almost 10 years later, what am I doing about it? Not a whole lot. I need to start being more fun with my kids. Instead of sitting on the computer reading, why don't I get down with them and play. I need to take them out to the park more and stop using all the excuses I can come up with. I need to stop saying "I don't have many friends to talk to" and just make the best out of the situation I've been dealt. I should also stop hiding behind my inadequacies and remember who I want to be and not care what others think I should be.

These are good options, right? I mean I know I have to grow up but do I have to be ornery all the time?

3 comments:

Katie said...

We should live next to each other so we can kick each other in the pants and remind each other to live our real lives.

Emily Barney said...

Marly ~ I completely understand! I need to do more fun things with my kids & get off my computer too! Let's get together this summer! It'd be so good to see you!

Rachel said...

This morning at swim lessons I was watching the girls play when it wasn't their turn to be out trying their floats or whatever. The had so much fun. It hit me that I used to be so care free and could play so freely without always thinking about the things that need to get done. I wonder when I lost that? It's hard to grow up (sniff sniff). We want to play with you guys though. Jocelyn was just talking about your boys today.