Thursday, March 24, 2011

Running

I'm in a rut, or hitting a wall, whatever you want to call it. I run for 30 minutes, at least, and I want to die. I have this issue where I feel like I need to take in a deep breath and it just won't come, so I kind of start panicking a little bit until I can make it happen. It used to just happen when I ran. I was told to slow my pace, which sucks, and see if that helps. I slowed it for a couple weeks and then sped it back up because who wants to run a 12 min mile pace?!

Now the problem is not just when I run, it's all day long. I watch people on The Biggest Loser running just fine and they've been doing it as long as I have. I can just feel Jillian yelling at me telling me to quit saying I can't! But then I get to where I can't pull in that breath and it's driving me nuts. I don't want to quit running but if I can't figure out what's going on, I don't know what I'll have to do.

Am I just breathing wrong when I run and all day long? Has the faster pace killed my lungs? What is this?!?! None of my runner friends can give me any clues. I slowed my pace yesterday to 13.45 min mile and it sucked but I was able to do it better. I still had to pull in the breaths awkwardly but not as often.

Seriously, any idea?

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Is it possibly exercise induced asthma?

Emily said...

I was thinking asthma too . . Hunter has asthma & it flares up when runs around a lot. Do you cough at all when you exercise?

Marly said...

No coughing it's just like I can breath but I want that deep breath to go in and it won't go! It's actually been better today and I didn't go to the gym yesterday. I need to go today, but maybe if I keep it slower. I'm wondering if maybe my lungs just aren't used to so much exercise and I just bring the air in wrong.

Annie said...

I would ask a doctor to see if they have advice or a diagnosis. Sorry to hear you have to deal with that when running, no fun :(

Andie said...

This may sound silly, but while running I breath like I did when I was in labor. Lamaze type breathing. And it helps TREMENDOUSLY with my breathing. Plus it makes me keep my rhythm while running too. And I run at about a 12 minute/mile pace. But I am able to run longer and keep the same pace through the whole run. Nobody says you have to be FAST. Also, I do agree with the exercise induced asthma. I use 2 puffs of albuterol 15 minutes before each run. That is also a GREAT help.
Good Luck Marly, I really hope you find what works best for you and not give up. :)

Unknown said...

Try taking a beginning class on Kundalini Yoga . . . Kundalini teaches breathing and you may find technique that will work with running (I used it to help boost my treadmill jogging).