Thursday, June 17, 2010

Playing outside

So when did it change from kids playing outside day and night to keeping our kids indoors or in our sight all the time? Can't we teach them proper manners and trust them?

I know people say it's harder now, there are more dangers than when we were kids but I just don't believe it. I mean yes it's different in different areas. In the neighborhood I grew up in a little girl was killed by a boy who lived in the neighborhood. There were always these kidnapping scares and yet we still played outside.

I am not really talking about younger kids, but school age kids. I remember having the run of the neighborhood and we were always outside with our friends.

Now it seems like some peoples attitudes are that if a kid is outside all the time, someone should call CPS on their parents. They must be doing a bad job. I don't get it.

The main reason my kids aren't outside much is because we lived in an apartment for so long. Out our front door was a parking lot and not much grass to play on. They are still getting used to being able to play outside.

But I ask you, why is it so bad for kids to play outside?

5 comments:

Katie said...

I'm scared of all the awful things that can happen. I found a blog in support of survivors of violence. I read about a woman who was emotionally scarred FOR DECADES after some minor molestation that happened with a neighbor boy, right in her front yard. I don't want that happen to my kids if there was a way to prevent it.

I'm also scared of the judgement that would come upon me if something were to happen. People would not support me and say "oh, these things happen, it was an accident". They would say "you're a terrible parent and should be throw in jail and your kids put in foster homes."

In reality though, I let my two older kids play outside a lot. You know their ages. However, my middle son kept running away, was vandalizing things, and wouldn't obey me when I'd ask him to come in. So I determined that he's too young to go outside without me. If we had a house, I would let them play in the backyard 24 hours per day.

Oh, did I also mention that we have a sex offender living right by us in our complex? (It was rape/assault, and the conviction was 25 years ago.) His 7 year old son is my son's best friend, and my son is always begging to go over to his house. I'm tired of making up reasons why he can't go to this kid's apartment, but he can go to other apartments.

ima10cow said...

I am aware of a child who lives in a very affluent area who was molested by a neighborhood boy at the park. Both children were school age. They were left to play outside all day unattended. I don't/won't let my kids play outside unattended not because THEY don't have manners, haven't been taught etc, but because unfortunately I don't REALLY know what is going on with the children they are playing with. I know I can't be everywhere all the time and protect my children from everything, but you can bet I will try. It's a bummer that my kids can't run free like we did, but I personally feel the risks to my children are far greater than the benefit to their "childhood" by being able to run free. It's what works for my family...but maybe not for yours. :)

sister garfield's Magical Mission said...

It is a modern tragedy that so many dangers exist for our children and for us as adults. My friends and I not only had the run of our neighborhoods but of the city. We would walk on busy roads to and from school, to the grocery store, library, various parks, vacant lots and fields and even to neighboring cities without a second thought. I would like to think that we all have the responsibility not only to keep our own kids safe but our neighbors kids as well. Whatever happened to 'it takes a village'? I have an idyllic vision of allowing my children to run wild and stay safe in a community of people I know and trust but I'm afraid that such a thing may not exist anymore. The new standard is to be active and outside for an hour a day and I think that is selling ourselves and our kids short of what could be. And what once was.

Darci said...

i miss it too. im sure stuff happened when i was little it just wasnt publicized like today. it was more shameful/hush-hush so people kept it on the DL. there are lots of freak-os out there for sure, i am just teaching my kids stranger danger and doing what i feel is comfortable- and listening to intuition.

Becky said...

On the news just last week there was a story of a young girl (I think 6 or 7) who was out riding her bike and some guy came up behind her and covered her mouth, trying to kidnap her. Luckily her bike was equipped with a horn so she went crazy honking it, which scared the guy off. This was in a nice neighborhood in Draper. I don't want to live in fear, and I don't want to raise my kids to be paranoid, but seriously? There are just too many freaks out there.