Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dealing with death

Ryan's grandpa is dieing. He has been sick with Alzheimer's for the past 2.5 years. It's interesting because we were planning his 80th birthday when they realized he wasn't doing well. I say interesting because in 2004 we were planning my grandpa's 80th birthday party when he had a stroke, out of no where, and was in the hospital for a couple weeks, was transferred to a care facility and died a couple days later. I was there at the hospital with my grandpa after and it was a good time for my family and extended family to spend that time together. He wasn't conscious but I felt like it was a good experience for the family.

It's been such a different experience with Ryan's grandpa. He went into this care facility and we haven't gone to see him at all. He came to a Christmas party a year ago, but I haven't seen him since. My great grandparents were in a facility when my great grandma got alzeimers. I remember visiting her and my mom usually had to bring her back to the room. It was such a different experience for me.

I feel like I've dealt with death a few times throughout my life. I've had friends die, friends parents, grandparents, great grand parents, and uncles. I want to be as involved as I can because I miss them but this standing off is new to me. I am going tomorrow to say good bye to his grandpa. He is one of the most kind hearted amazing men I've known. I have loved him as a grandpa from the very beginning. I will miss him terribly and I just want to have my opportunity to say goodbye to him properly, when he is still here with us. I feel like I missed out on that opportunity with my own grandpa being he wasn't really there after the stroke. I want to do it this time.

No comments: