Saturday, February 4, 2012

Weight loss

I really thought if I just started exercising, I would lose all the weight, really fast. I only had 25lbs to lose, how hard could it be?! In the beginning, I lost 5lbs, really fast. Then I lost another 5lbs, then gained it back, then lost it again, and gained it back. After the beginning of this year, I started counting my calories. I wanted to make sure I was getting the right amount. I lost 4lbs right away. Then I gained them back, then lost 2 and finally 3. I've measured myself, and I lost an inch in a month. I know something is going on, but it can be frustrating to feel like I work so hard but don't see results.

I won't quit. I wonder if the weights have anything to do with it, but I will not quit. I've come so far and registered for so many races, that I will have to take my 8lb loss and be happy! I need to appreciate all my body has done for me and still does for me every day. I can walk, I can play with my kids without getting tired. It's a huge accomplishment to run all the races I have run!

Something else unexpected that has come out of this is I've realized I'm a like or hate person. I know, weird huh, but bare with me. I'm an honest, blunt person. I say what I think. I have the way I do things and how I want to do things and I won't apologize for it. OK, that's a lie. Sometimes I do apologize for it but I still feel the way I do. I have learned that rubs people the wrong way. For some reason if I don't agree with you, that means I'm judging you. It can't be further from the truth! I have my beliefs but I would never judge someone else for the choices they make in their life. I don't have to like everything you do just like you don't have to like everything I do.

I tie this into exercise because since I started exercising, I have gained a confidence in myself. I am realizing everyone doesn't have to like me. That's OK! I don't have to be everyone's friend and if we have issues that you don't want to resolve with me, I can't make you resolve them. I am still me and you are still you and I can't force you to like me. It's been a long time coming that I realize this because when I was younger, I was always the neutral person. I didn't want to make waves. Now I don't offend people on purpose, but I have to be me. I can't be scared of backlash for feeling the way I do about anything.

3 comments:

Darci said...

I hear you on the yo-yo of 5lbs...happens to me with periods. i get down and then once mother nature intervenes (i know it's water) i feel crappy and bloated and gain 5lbs. then i only have like 2-3 weeks to get "down" again and it repeats...oh well. even if you don't lose weight there are many benefits to working out regularly- i go for sanity. and when i indulge a little in yummy (bad) food then i don't feel as bad because I know I'm going to work my butt off the next day.

Annie said...

I can relate with what you have written about exercise on this post and previous posts. I am so glad you are enjoying exercise and can see the benefits (besides the total weight loss, sorry). Remember seeing me go running at the Village? Now you know why I would exercise often, because of how it makes me feel and the other benefits. :-) Also, I can relate with not really caring what other people think of me. I have really gone though that transformation within the last 2 years. Maybe it is something that happens when you are around 30 years old! But I like this attitude that I now have that I am just going to do what works for me and not care what others think. But I have also developed the attitude of serving others and lifting others' burdens when I can, so I try and be a good friend too. Isn't it great to grow older and wiser? That is what I thought when I read your post, and I feel like has happened to me too! We should get together soon and chat more, we have so much in common! :-)

Katie said...

Maybe you should just ditch the scale completely and go by inches? I may be biased, because I don't have a scale. I weigh myself a couple times a year if I go to the doctor or see a scale at a friend's house. I can see the benefit of weighing yourself regularly to keep tabs on whether your weight is creeping up. But since you are in a muscle-building phase, I imagine that numbers on the scale would be completely useless.